Principal Psychologist (B.A Psych, Hons)
Hi there, I am Kat.
I am the Principal Psychologist + co-founder of the Psych Collaborative and I am so, SO passionate about my work.
My aim as a therapist is to ensure you feel completely comfortable in taking the first step to seeking support. I have been told I have a gentle, warm and compassionate approach.
Maybe you’re at a crossroads in your relationship, perhaps you are struggling with your mental health or maybe you just need a safe space to chat to someone who is completely objective. Therapy can seem somewhat clinical, so it is my priority to ensure you feel safe by providing a warm, confidential and judgement-free space for you. I also believe in the power of humour in sessions, you may get used to my lame jokes!
I often work in a cognitive-behavioural framework to fully understand how your thoughts, feelings and behaviours are intertwined. Simply put, I work to uncover what’s going on in your mind, and how this impacts on your everyday life, whether it be how you view yourself, or how your thoughts and behaviours may be impacting your mental health, relationships and overall well being. I also advocate for a holistic approach to mental health, such as recognising the importance of all areas of your life (relationships, work life balance, sleep, diet, exercise), as well as utilising mindfulness as a tool to support therapy.
Areas of experience:
- Anxiety disorders (Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Bereavement/ Grief + Loss
- Burnout/ Stress
- Body and self-esteem (Self-confidence, body -esteem and self-esteem concerns)
- Disordered eating concerns
- Family concerns/ family conflict
- Goal setting
- Mood disorders (Major Depression Disorder, Dsythmia)
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ADHD, Intellectual Disability, ASD)
- Perfectionism/ Imposter Syndrome
- Parenting support
- Personality Disorders (Obsessive Compulsive, Borderline Personality Disorder)
- Relationship support (friendships, romantic partners, family support)
- Trauma support
If you’re looking for support for any of the above concerns or perhaps you just need a listening ear, then I would love to support you in this step. I know that seeing a Psychologist can be really daunting and can sometimes seem very clinical. I promise you won’t be laying on any couches in my sessions (unless you want to!).
- I spend the time getting to know you, understanding your passions, your strengths, what drives you, your goals and exploring things you would like to change.
- I take therapy at your pace, however slowly or quickly you would like to go.
- I believe that our thoughts, feelings and behaviours are linked to both our biological make-up and environmental frameworks and work to explore these with you, so I get a vibrant picture of how you came to be uniquely you!
- I believe at looking at the ‘whole picture’ to gain an accurate assessment and counselling plan, this may include things such as; your history including your childhood, lived experience of trauma, your relations with those around you, your motivations, your physical and spiritual health and your current situation.
What about when I’m not with clients?
There’s nothing I love more than a Sunday morning oat milk latte and stroll along the beach, sounds so cliché (I know), but that is one of my favourite kind of therapy.
I also LOVE bushwalks, nature, 70’s music, choc-chip cookies, yoga and of course, Netflix and Thai to recharge the batteries.
I live with my fiancé, Josh and my adopted koala, Allen.
Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, Mindfulness based Cognitive Theory, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Strengths Based Therapy (Humanistic Therapy), Motivational Interviewing, Psychodynamic and Psychoanalytic Therapy, Biopsychosocial Therapy, Behaviour Analysis, Family Systems Therapy.
I am registered under the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (AHPRA) and the Psychology Board of Australia (PBA).
Principal Clinical Psychotherapist (B. A Psych, MPsychother & Couns)
Hello! I’m Aimee and I’m a Clinical Psychotherapist + the other half of The Psych Collaborative.
I have a passion and commitment in assisting you understand how you came to be “you”! As your trusty therapist, my aim is to build a safe space for healing.
My approach has been described as calm, supportive, warm and empathic. I work from a trauma and attachment framework to identify unconscious patterns from childhood or past experiences that are no longer serving you. Essentially, we get to the root of the root! I believe seemingly senseless things make sense when we understand our experiences.
We take therapy at your pace, in our confidential judgment-free online space, allowing you to feel held and supported through challenges you face. whether that’s feeling stuck with mental health difficulties, relationship concerns, experiences of trauma or maybe you just need a space that is yours to be heard and seen.
You may come as a couple: constantly in conflict, perhaps there are intimacy concerns or a painful betrayal. There might be maladaptive behaviours from past experiences causing dysfunction. You may simply need a safe, accepting and encouraging space to openly share. We work to peel back the layers and restore safety to ultimately find direction and balance.
I work to understand the world as you feel it and see it. My area’s of experience include:
- Trauma (Complex + developmental, physical, psychological, sexual, emotional abuse and/or neglect)
- Relationship concerns (friends, family, romantic, food, money)
- Couples counselling
- Attachment Styles + Attachment Dysregulation (co-dependency, love addiction and trauma bonding)
- Self-esteem, self-confidence + self-worth
- Emotional Dysregulation (outbursts, impulsivity, dissociative rage/hostility, obsessive-compulsive behaviour/thoughts etc)
- Sex + Intimacy concerns
- Stress/ Chronic Stress
- Burn out + Psychological fatigue
- Depression + Mood disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Disordered eating concerns
- Body image concerns
- Adaptive coping mechanisms: procrastination/perfectionism/people-pleasing
- Grief/loss/bereavement (including divorce, death, loss of employment)
- Parenting support
Above all, I work to support you with developing more authentic and positive ways of being in the world:
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: our feelings, motives, behaviours, and decisions are powerfully influenced by our past experiences. Creating deeper understanding of interpersonal relationships and repeating themes that are both conscious and unconscious.
- Attachment theory: deep understanding of how major figures in your life impact how you relate to others + how you invite others to relate to you. Essentially our attachment styles are like internal blueprints or maps woven into us. These working models are the basis of our coping capacities. We work towards developing a secure attachment for healthier + happier relationships with self and others.
- Trauma-informed: stressful events we experience may result in a psychological wound. This trauma can result in difficulty in coping. Creating safety to access unresolved residue from past experiences in your life + process these experiences with the nurturance needed. Healing focuses on empowerment and connection for corrective experiences of unmet needs.
- Understanding you as a whole person: observing how all the different parts of an individual work together rather than just your symptoms: family history, home, work, social connections, physical health, and perception of well-being + stress.
- I draw from neuroscience + Polyvagal Theory : This means understanding the nervous system in response to social engagement systems and brain structures that regulate adaptive behaviours.
- I integrate mindfulness and bodywork: resolving trauma symptoms and relieving chronic stress. These skills allow us to process + intentionally practice healthier coping mechanisms.
What about when I’m not with clients?
I Loooooove yoga, weekends at the beach and long walks with my beautiful dog Mowgli!
It’s the simple comforts for me, like a Sunday brunch at a sunny café or enjoying some time in nature.
Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Analytically Oriented Psychotherapy, Relational Psychotherapy, Rogerian Client-Centred Counselling, Systems Theory Whole-Person Focused, Attachment Theory, Schema therapy, Couples Counselling, Mindfulness and Relaxation, Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Internal Family Systems Therapy.
I am a clinical member of the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA). PACFA has rigorous membership and professional development requirements.