Registered Psychologist (B.A Psy; Hons) PSY0002076798
Hi there, I am Kat.
I am a Psychologist and I am so, SO passionate about my work.
My aim as a therapist is to ensure you feel completely comfortable in taking the first step to seeking support, I have been told I have a gentle, warm and compassionate approach.
Maybe you’re at a crossroads in your relationship, perhaps you are struggling with your mental health or maybe you just need a safe space to chat to someone who is completely objective. Therapy can seem somewhat clinical, so it’s is my priority to ensure you feel safe by providing a warm, confidential and judgement-free space for you. I also believe in the power of humour in sessions with you, you may get used to my lame jokes!
I often work in a cognitive-behavioural framework to fully understand how your thoughts, feelings and behaviours are intertwined. Simply put, I work to uncover what’s going on in your mind, and how this impacts on your everyday life, whether it be how you view yourself, or how your thoughts and behaviours may be impacting your mental health, relationships and overall well being. I also advocate for a holistic approach to mental health, such as recognising the importance of all areas of your life (relationships, work life balance, sleep, diet, exercise), as well as utilising mindfulness as a tool to support therapy.
Areas of experience/ passion:
- Anxiety disorders (Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety)
- Bereavement/ Grief + Loss
- Burnout/ Stress
- Body and self-esteem (self-confidence, body -esteem and self-esteem concerns)
- Disordered eating concerns
- Family concerns/ family conflict
- Goal setting
- Mood disorders (Depression, Dsythmia)
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ADHD, Intellectual Disability, ASD)
- Parenting support
- Personality Disorders (Obsessive Compulsive, Borderline Personality Disorder)
- Relationship support (friendships, romantic partners, family support)
If you’re looking for support for any of the above concerns or perhaps you just need a listening ear, then I would love to support you in this step. I know that seeing a Psychologist can be really daunting and can sometimes seem very clinical. I promise you won’t be laying on any couches in my sessions (unless you want to!).
- I spend the time getting to know you, understanding your passions, your strengths, what drives you, your goals and exploring things you would like to change.
- I take therapy at your pace, however slowly or quickly you would like to go.
- I believe that our thoughts, feelings and behaviours are linked to both our biological make-up and environmental frameworks and work to explore these with you, so I get a vibrant picture of how you came to be uniquely you!
- I believe at looking at the ‘whole picture’ to gain an accurate assessment and counselling plan, this may include things such as; your history including your childhood, lived experience of trauma, your relations with those around you, your motivations, your physical and spiritual health and your current situation.
What about when I’m not with clients?
There’s nothing I love more than a Sunday morning oat milk latte and stroll along the beach, sounds so cliché (I know), but that is one of my favourite kind of therapy.
I also LOVE bushwalks, nature, 70’s music, choc-chip cookies, yoga and of course, Netflix and Thai to recharge the batteries.
I live with my fiancé, Josh and my adopted koala, Allen.
Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, Mindfulness based Cognitive Theory, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Schema Therapy, Strengths Based Therapy (Humanistic Therapy), Motivational Interviewing, Psychodynamic and Psychoanalytic Therapy, Biopsychosocial Therapy, Behaviour Analysis, Family Systems Therapy.
I am registered under the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (AHPRA) and the Psychology Board of Australia (PBA).
Registered Psychotherapist 5242 (B. A Psych, MPsychother & Couns)
I have a passion and commitment in assisting you understand how you came to be “you”.
I’m a mindful, compassionate and gentle therapist who hears and sees you. As a psychodynamic psychotherapist, my aim is to build a safe place for positive change. I hold your hand through deep exploration of unresolved conflicts that may be manifesting from childhood, past relationships or experiences.
Together we might explore surviving trauma, relationship difficulties, experiences of abuse, anxiety from past or future, support during life transitions, body image, burn out, struggling with not liking who you are, emotional pain or if you are just not feeling yourself.
We get to the root of the root. Thereby increasing your awareness, identifying often unconscious patterns of behaviour and beliefs that are no longer serving you.
As a trauma-informed clinician, I am eager to honour and explore your story with sensitivity, warmth and without judgment, at your own pace in our confidential online space.
I have experience in working with children, young people, adults and couples with:
- complex developmental trauma
- relationship concerns + separation issues (family/friends/partner/food/exercise)
- couples + family counselling
- body image
- emotional disturbance
- stress + burn out (work + life)
- sleep issues/ insomnia
- feelings of uncertainty around ambitions + achievements (feeling stuck, lost, pressure, overwhelmed or unsatisfied and unfulfilled)
- experiencing grief/loss/bereavement.
Walking with you through this process might look like:
- I work holistically, understanding you as a whole person.
- I’m skilled in brief, to long term psychodynamic psychotherapy – our feelings, motives, behaviours, and decisions are powerfully influenced by our past experiences. There is an emphasis on our therapeutic relationship to connect to emotional states.
- Attachment theory: deep understanding of how major figures in your life impact how you relate to others + how you invite others to relate to you.
- Person-centred: I work to understand your experience from your perspective. Helping you feel accepted, and better able to understand your own feelings. Helping you to reconnect with inner values and sense of self-worth, thus enabling you to find their own way to move forward.
- Trauma-informed: creating safety to access unresolved residue from profound experiences in your life + process these experiences with the nurturance needed.
- Interpersonal Neurobiology: understanding of brain structures that regulate both social and defensive behaviours. Integrating brain + body responding to trauma.
- Body/Somatic psychotherapy: our body holds the history of our life experiences. Some of our more painful experiences form defence patterns that are held in our body. Patterns such as abandonment, rejection, betrayal, failed relationships, depression and/or anxiety. By working with the body-mind we can gently challenge these defence patterns creating improved emotional well-being and vibrancy.
Above all, I would love to provide you with the support and instruments needed to to develop unconditional acceptance of self, reduce emotional pain, confusion or distress as you learn healthier ways of being in the world.
Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Analytically Oriented Psychotherapy, Relational Psychotherapy, Rogerian Client-Centred Counselling, Systems Theory Whole-Person Focused, Attachment Theory, Schema therapy, Couples Counselling, Mindfulness and Relaxation, Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Internal Family Systems Therapy.
I am a member of the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA). PACFA has rigorous membership and professional development requirements.